I’m divided between saying a thousand and one words about the land of a thousand hills, and just letting you guys enjoy these pictures. Well I’ll share some quick facts about lake Kivu.
The 2400 sq km lake lies on the border of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda housed by two towns, Rubavu/Gisenyi on the Rwandan side and Goma on the DRC side. Kivu contains high concentrations of naturally occurring methane gas that both Rwanda and the DRC are prospecting to tap and utilize for methane to power projects and other uses like fertilizer production. Take a closer look at some of the pictures below, there is a drilling rig in the middle of the lake doing it’s thing. Also, the resources above and beneath lake Kivu are shared equally between the two hosting countries.
Now, onto more interesting things( I’m no geologist) 😂😂😂, what to do at Lake Kivu?
1. Take a boat ride to Goma, have lunch and ride back.
2. Water-sport fun
3. Savor the flavors (second best grilled fish I’ve ever had
4. Get some tan. Too bad it’s the rainy season in Rwanda. I didn’t get to try this
5. Sit back and enjoy the view. There is some sort of calm that comes from nature irrespective of where you are.Visualize doing that with this view.
6. Of course swim. ( I prefer getting a floater and being safe) 😂😂😂😂
Of importance to note is the experience of a breathtaking ride from Kigali to Gisenyi between the hills. The perfect road trip!
Also, one fact that makes Kivu an awesome holiday destination is that it has a thousand and one accommodation options to choose from, depending on your budget.
|Your typical ride|
What I ate
|We’re not alone in this.. Lol|
|The Kigali convention center by night|
What I wore